Saturday, April 26, 2014

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

Homer is blind, strong, and smart and has an…epic tail? No, not that Homer…I’m talking about Homer the Blind Wonder Cat! The story of Homer the cat is a very special and true story. Written by Gwen Cooper, Homer is a story about an eyeless cat, and how he changed Gwen’s life for the better.

Homer had “a virulent eye infection [that] required the surgical removal of both his eyes,” the reader learns in the first chapter of "Homer’s Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat." However, Homer’s story is not a sad one – Homer lived with Gwen for sixteen years. Homer passed away in August 2013 of old age.

 Each chapter of "Homer's Odyssey" starts off with a quote from the epic tale "The Odyssey," written by the poet Homer. The quote is also followed by a picture of Homer the cat. The reader soon becomes enamored with Homer’s happiness and lust for life. Perching on the edge of the toilet seat and catching flies in his mouth, mid-air!

Homer in his glory.
Dog Eared Pages interviewed The New York Times Best Selling Author, Gwen Cooper via email.

Dog Eared Pages (DEP): At what moment did you decide to write" Homer’s Odyssey," and what is the inspiration behind the title?
Gwen Cooper (GC): I first came up with the idea when I read about the sale of "Dewey" to Grand Central ("Dewey's" publisher).  I thought I have a pretty cool cat!  I wonder if I could write a book about him!  The title came to me instantaneously and I never considered any alternatives.  But it still took about a year until I had a proposal I thought could realistically be shown to anybody.

DEP: What made you realize Homer's story could be a book?
GC: I didn't know what the narrative through-line would be that would make it an actual book instead of just a collection of anecdotes.  When [my husband] Laurence proposed to me, I remembered that I had adopted Homer right after a major break-up, and then I realized that that would be the story. I wrote this book so it would begin with a break-up and end with a wedding, and in between would be the ten years of discovery and transition for both Homer and me between those two events.

DEP: Writers all have different processes they go through to complete their books. What is yours like?
GC: I don't write every day.  I've found that sometimes, when I'm stuck, the best thing to do is to get away from the computer and do something completely different.  On the show "Mad Men," there's a great scene where Don Draper, the creative director of an ad agency, gives advice to a junior copywriter who's suffering from writer's block.  He tells her, ‘Think about it deeply, and then forget it.  The answers will come.’  I've always found that to be true. Of course, the trick is knowing the difference between times when you really do have to stop writing for a few days and times when you're just procrastinating.  I can't say I always stay on the right side of that line, but I do always try!

DEP: Many cat bloggers and writers post every day about their cats’ activities. Was it (or is it still) hard for you to “share” Homer with the world?
GC: It's interesting how many readers have come to feel that Homer is ‘their cat’ too.  It means that when I write about Homer and things that are going on in our lives, I get deluged with advice and feedback.  Mostly, though, this has been overwhelmingly positive.  So many of my readers have a lot more experience with cats then I do, and they tend to have ideas that I wouldn't have. 

Still, it was odd sometimes to look at Homer napping on the couch and think that there are thousands of people all over the world who loved him.  He was just my little cat!  But, of course, since the book came out he became more than just my cat.  It's amazing to think about.

Homer is just Gwen's little cat, who made a big impact in her life.
DEP: Have you ever been recognized when you are out and about?
GC: Very rarely--maybe once or twice.  Being "author famous" isn't like being famous famous.  I have friends who've known me forever who occasionally say things like, "How weird is it that you're famous now?"  And I always say, "And yet, when I go to the grocery store, they treat me just like I was a regular person!"  That's my little joke, the point being, of course, that I'm really not famous at all. 

The only time I come close to feeling like I am is when I do a reading and a few hundred people show up--but, even then, I feel like they're there for the book and not for me, personally.

DEP: One of the wonderful ideas that have come with "Homer’s Odyssey" is taking the prejudice often found with adopting blind cats. What’s your advice for people unsure about adopting a blind cat?
GC: Blind cats do very, very well, and blindness by itself is no reason to either not adopt a cat or "put down" a cat who has gone blind.  I always say that, at the end of the day, a blind cat is just like any other cat, and just as capable of loving you and living a wonderful life.

Homer is like any other cat, when getting into mischief.
DEP: Being a successful author can be measured in many ways - how many copies of books have been sold, number of fans you have on Facebook or how many people show up to a book signing. How do you define your success?
GC: I'm still not sure that I feel successful!  It's a cliché, but it's absolutely true, that success is a horizon line that keeps receding no matter how close you think you're getting to it.  I never take it for granted that just because "Homer's Odyssey" had done well, my future books will also do well.  Success is something I get up every morning prepared to work hard for.

DEP: And of course, the best interview question is saved for last: is there a question that you've wanted to be asked in interviews, but have never been asked before?
GC: People never seem to ask about my husband, Laurence.  So I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge him and the amazing "cat dad" he's grown into since my cats and I first moved in with him seven years ago.  When Vashti and Scarlett became ill in their last years (Vashti with chronic renal failure and Scarlett with cancer), I literally couldn't have done everything I needed to do to take care of them on my own.  When we were dating, Laurence wasn't sure he could live with three cats.  But when things got bad and I was beside myself with worry and grief, Laurence was incredibly gentle and compassionate and never once complained--or was anything less than cheerful--about helping me out with some of the difficult and unpleasant things that had to be done.  He's a remarkable and loving man.

Make sure you find "Homer's Odyssey" on Facebook!  You can read Gwen’s blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment